One muggy and unusual night, I woke at 3 AM, hazily recalled predictions of spectacular meteor showers, and dragged a sleepy Larry with me out to our driveway to watch for meteorites. After craning our necks for a few minutes that seemed like hours, we finally saw one or two tiny, magnificent flashes. It was a catch-it-in-the-corner-of-your-eye type thing. There and gone. Blink and you miss it. We stumbled back inside and I couldn't sleep for the Glory of God's night sky. Words pelted my brain and I had to write them down. (See the very first post: Meteors at Night.)

Like the meteor shower, my inspiration often comes unbidden at night in quick bursts that demand my attention. I get excited about it. I don't want to miss it, not any of it. Not one quick flash, not one Illumined moment, not one whisper from God.

I'm trying hard to catch it and collect it and put it all in one sky. You're welcome to do a little gazing here anytime.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Line Dance



Dance, sweet line!
Celebrate the air!
Sing to the fish –
Land soft on the water.

Caress your good fly and
Flirt with the trout.
Tease him and whisper,
“You need this for supper.”

Float like a hair,
So thin and so fine.
You’re there, but you’re not,
Mostly invisible.

Move away from the trees -
Cool water’s your goal,
Not branches that want
To keep you for always.

Set a right rhythm.
Don’t jerk.  Don’t snap.
I’m counting on you for
Nice presentation.

Stay tight and be ready –
The bigtime is now.
Bring me that trout with
No thought of breaking.

Swim with him –
Dive with him –
Play in the river!
Lead him –
Follow him –
Partners forever.

Bring him this way –
Teach him your steps.
I want to see
A flash of the shiny.
 
Be still while I capture
A moment in time.
Look with me – praise
God’s awesome creation.

Rest now and breathe.
Dry off and stay strong
Till I find more fresh air and say,
Dance, sweet line.

No comments:

Post a Comment