One muggy and unusual night, I woke at 3 AM, hazily recalled predictions of spectacular meteor showers, and dragged a sleepy Larry with me out to our driveway to watch for meteorites. After craning our necks for a few minutes that seemed like hours, we finally saw one or two tiny, magnificent flashes. It was a catch-it-in-the-corner-of-your-eye type thing. There and gone. Blink and you miss it. We stumbled back inside and I couldn't sleep for the Glory of God's night sky. Words pelted my brain and I had to write them down. (See the very first post: Meteors at Night.)

Like the meteor shower, my inspiration often comes unbidden at night in quick bursts that demand my attention. I get excited about it. I don't want to miss it, not any of it. Not one quick flash, not one Illumined moment, not one whisper from God.

I'm trying hard to catch it and collect it and put it all in one sky. You're welcome to do a little gazing here anytime.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tractor Pull




The men all got together
To see whose rig was best.
‘Twas then that Brother Steven
Put “Big John” up to the test.

The farmers packed in closely;
The track was hard and bare
When “Big John” and “International”
Both paid their entry fare.

Then they drew their order –
“Big John” would wait till last,
So “International” grabbed the sled –
Tore down the track real fast.

Passed 50 feet, then 60,
And finally saw the end.
Now “Big John” hitched to the heavy sled,
His title to defend.

His smokestack sputtered vengeance –
He cleared ten feet with a mighty jerk,
Passed 20 feet, now 30,
And then began to work.

The crowd looked on in silence;
One fan, then two began to shout,
Then again the piercing silence…
Big Bad John had just spun out.


(I wrote this a long time ago when I was a teenager.  Tractor pulls were a big deal in our farming community and my brother, Steve, who was coming of age just then, entered our fairly new John Deere in one, with high hopes of winning.  Not long ago, we ran across a handwritten, framed copy of the poem I had made for my grandparents and Kevin asked me to add it to the blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment