One muggy and unusual night, I woke at 3 AM, hazily recalled predictions of spectacular meteor showers, and dragged a sleepy Larry with me out to our driveway to watch for meteorites. After craning our necks for a few minutes that seemed like hours, we finally saw one or two tiny, magnificent flashes. It was a catch-it-in-the-corner-of-your-eye type thing. There and gone. Blink and you miss it. We stumbled back inside and I couldn't sleep for the Glory of God's night sky. Words pelted my brain and I had to write them down. (See the very first post: Meteors at Night.)

Like the meteor shower, my inspiration often comes unbidden at night in quick bursts that demand my attention. I get excited about it. I don't want to miss it, not any of it. Not one quick flash, not one Illumined moment, not one whisper from God.

I'm trying hard to catch it and collect it and put it all in one sky. You're welcome to do a little gazing here anytime.

Monday, October 1, 2012

That's Life



I am from October bad news,
Shock, numbness, fear,
Larry telling the family,
Books and TV to crowd out thoughts,
This can’t be happening-
How long will I live?

I am from Isaiah strength,
No surprises to God,
Use this for Your Glory.

I am from CT scans, bone scans, MRIs,
Clanging in a closed tunnel:
Gone!  Gone!  Gone!
Needles, IVs, port surgery,
Results, good news/bad news,
Bone-only, malignant.
What’s next?

I am from Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Neulasta,
Dog tired days, sleepless nights,
Tasteless food, God-sent husband,
Struggling back to the new normal.
Goodbye, hair.

I am from love,
Casseroles and prayer,
Surprises from ze hat fairy and
Lots of bandannas.

I am from cards the size of posters,
Unexpected offerings,
The best friends on earth,
Walker Valley.

I am from
Seven hours of surgery, slow recovery,
Infection, ER, no toothbrush,
More surgery, then more, then more.
Long road.
Can I drive yet?

I am from curly gray locks I don’t recognize,
Achy bones that scare me,
A hot road to Knoxville,
Arimidex, Zometa, Wednesday Herceptin,
Mimi’s, Panera, Abuelo’s, McAllister’s,
Retail therapy.

I am from Jenny, Gina, Vanessa and Meredith,
Leslie, Kristie, Phil and Angel,
Betadine swabs, quick silent ouches,
IV bags, Bandaids.

I am from more scans to come,
One more surgery,
Lots more treatment,
Pink ribbons, hope.

Lord willing, I will be from
Sticky fingers and warm hugs of grandchildren,
Graduation hats flying in Johnson City,
Visits to Lindsey’s house,
Anniversaries with Larry
And, one day, wedding bells for Kevin.

That's the future.
Then Heaven -
That’s Life.

(*I wrote this poem sometime in 2009.  I was diagnosed in October 2008.)

No comments:

Post a Comment