One muggy and unusual night, I woke at 3 AM, hazily recalled predictions of spectacular meteor showers, and dragged a sleepy Larry with me out to our driveway to watch for meteorites. After craning our necks for a few minutes that seemed like hours, we finally saw one or two tiny, magnificent flashes. It was a catch-it-in-the-corner-of-your-eye type thing. There and gone. Blink and you miss it. We stumbled back inside and I couldn't sleep for the Glory of God's night sky. Words pelted my brain and I had to write them down. (See the very first post: Meteors at Night.)

Like the meteor shower, my inspiration often comes unbidden at night in quick bursts that demand my attention. I get excited about it. I don't want to miss it, not any of it. Not one quick flash, not one Illumined moment, not one whisper from God.

I'm trying hard to catch it and collect it and put it all in one sky. You're welcome to do a little gazing here anytime.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pink Journey



So, what’s it like, having breast cancer?

It’s a journey –

A journey that starts with a crash,
A mind-freezing, heart-shaking, oddly silent one that
Alters your small, personal universe forever.

You never saw it coming and never thought it would be you.
It replays a million times over in numb slow-motion clips on the
“This-is-really-happening” news
While you try to process what just happened,
And even more mind-stretching,
The big what-will-happen-to-me-now?

You know – really know – that nothing is a surprise to God, and
He has allowed this change in direction for a reason, or many reasons, and
He walks right beside you, and
He catches all your tears in a bottle, and
He will never waste your pain.

You dread so strongly the knee-jerk rally of the very ones
Who will be most hurt by what’s hurting you.
You watch them heedlessly throw themselves
Under the speeding cancer bus with you.
You want to try to stop them,
To not let cancer crush them, too.

You read books, you watch movies, you sleep –
Anything to avoid those thoughts you just can’t think.

You promise yourself and your family and your oncologist
You’ll do whatever it takes to get well.
Give up a breast?
“Go ahead – take both.”
Chemotherapy?
“I want the red devil –
I hear it’s the strongest.”

Your hair comes out by the fist fulls one day while you’re simply washing it.
You try to convince yourself it doesn’t matter, and you knew it was going to happen,
But it matters anyway.

You have no appetite and next to no energy.
It takes a huge effort to stand, and
Each step is a marathon,
But you tell yourself, (and, anyone who asks),
“I’m getting better every day.”
And slowly, you do, Lord willing.

You heal.
You hope.
You try new things.
You welcome new mornings.

You reconstruct.
You rely on people.
You love deeply.
You practice gratitude.

You keep going,
(and people forget you’re still going), and
You keep going,
(and people ask when you’ll be done), and
You keep going,
(even if you wish you were done with going), and
You keep going,
(and you pray for a permanent cure), and

Along the way,
On the journey,
When you see
Pink ribbons and
Fundraising and
Flowers and
Cards and
Casseroles and
Surprises and
Well-placed smiles,
Well, you know what you’re really seeing
Is God,
And you know you’re not
Alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment